News

Florida school shooting of this site can be torn down, official says

close


Video

Florida school shooting: What is known about the shooter?

Was the deranged gunman on the authorities’ radar? Former Nashville police officer Vincent Hill weighs in on ‘Fox & Friends.’

The site of Wednesdays fatal Florida school shooting can be broken down, according to a Friday report.

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High may have been a teardown of the three floors of the first building on the campus, the Broward schools superintendent told the Sun-Sentinel, after a proposal from the school district.

“Parents and pupils have the super told me they can’t go back in that building, regardless of what we do,” Superintendent Robert Runcie told the outlet. “The other piece of what I’ve heard is that the building will be used as evidence in any type of legal process that goes forward, so we will not be able to gain access to the building for a while yet.”

A demolition proposal for the building held 900 students – would require state approval, funding, and approval of the school board.

An exact date for when the school will be reopened, as well as plans for how it will accommodate students and staff, will be announced in the weekend, Runcie told the Sun-Sentinel.

The school district has already talked about building a monument at the site of the building, Runcie said.

FLORIDA SCHOOL SHOOTING TIMELINE

Reports of the demolition proposal, follow new details about the Valentine’s Day massacre, in which 17 people were killed and more than a dozen others hurt.

Law enforcement authorities were reportedly informed about the recording of the suspect Nikolas Cruz several times in the past few years, but “protocols” were not followed, and Cruz remained free.

“It is now clear that the signs were there and tips to the FBI were missed,” Attorney General Jeff Sessions said in a Friday afternoon statement.

Earlier in the day the agency admitted to receive in January a call from a person close to Cruz, who contacted the FBI via the Public Access Line (PAL) tip line to express concerns about his erratic behavior and the disturbance of the social media posts. Those problems were never allegedly has acted.

“We see the tragic consequences of failure,” Sessions said.

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio said it was “unforgivable” that the FBI mishandled the tip and Florida Gov. Rick Scott said the treatment of the personal data should lead to the dismissal of FBI Director Christopher Wray.

“‘See something, say something’ is a very important tool, and people must have confidence in the follow through of enforcement of the law,” Scott said in a statement. “The FBI Director should resign.”

Cruz was charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder on Thursday and is being held without bail.

 

Fox News’ Lucia I. Suarez Sang contributed to this report.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular