News

First civil case looms in deadly Florida bridge collapse

close


Video

Point FIU bridge collapse caught on camera

Raw video: CCTV camera captures moment pedestrian bridge at Florida International University collapsed.

The first lawsuit after the deadly bridge collapse at Florida International University on Thursday, is expected to be submitted on Monday.

“I will be filing the first civil lawsuit related to the #FIUBridgeCollapse tomorrow morning,” Matt Morgan, the Morgan & Morgan law firm, tweeted. “It is imperative that we act quickly to secure critical documentation and data. Thoughts and prayers for all the families affected by this tragedy.”

I will be filing the first civil lawsuit related to the #FIUBridgeCollapse tomorrow. It is imperative that we act quickly to secure critical documentation and data. Thoughts and prayers for all the families affected by this tragedy. #FIUbridge

— Matt Morgan (@MattMorganESQ) March 18, 2018

Lawyers of the company are scheduled to hold a press conference on Monday afternoon in Orlando with regard to color. They said it would be submitted in the name of someone who was injured in the collapse, but gave not to any person.

More about the bridge collapse…

  • Florida bridge collapse victims are FOREIGN student, and five others

  • Florida bridge collapse victim’s uncle blasts decision to let cars pass below, the unfinished span

  • The companies behind Florida bridge collapse have the history of fines, failures, and lawsuits

  • Florida bridge collapse seemed “as if a bomb had exploded,” witness says; another tells bloody boy ‘begging’ for help

The newly built bridge collapsed on the school in Miami on Thursday afternoon, killing six people, and the defeat of eight vehicles under.

The bridge, which initially was expected to be completed in 2019, but opened last week, was intended to serve as a safe passage for pedestrians from the university to the city of Sweetwater.

Although it is still not clear what exactly the cause of the $14.2 million bridge collapse investigation remain ongoing, the Florida Department of Transportation on Friday said it had received a voicemail from an engineer earlier in the week notifying the agency of a crack in the bridge concrete, but that he did not believe that there is a safety risk.

A copy released Friday showed that Denney Pate with FIGG Bridge Group told the agency the crack should be repaired “, but from a safety perspective, we do not see that there is a problem, so we are not worried about it from that perspective.”

Fox News’ Paulina Dedaj contributed to this report.

Nicole Darrah cover breaking and trending news for FoxNews.com. Follow her on Twitter @nicoledarrah.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular