The fire brigade were called to rescue a man who had cemented a microwave on his head, in a YouTube stunt. (© West Midlands Fire Service)
Firefighters in the uk have hit a prankster’s “irresponsible” behaviour after they were called to rescue a man who had cemented a microwave on his head, in a YouTube stunt.
Sky News reports that the 22-year-old Jay Swingler put his head in a plastic bag in the microwave before seven bags of Polyfilla were cast into the furnace by his friends and Thursday. He was soon caught, according to the report.
His friends spent 90 minutes trying to free Swingler for the calling of an ambulance crew. When the emergency responders were not able to help, West Midlands Fire service was called.
VIDEO: MAN FILMS HIMSELF ON THE BALI VOLCANO, ANGRY CIVIL SERVANTS
Fire crews from Fallings Park Community fire station in Wolverhampton responded. “The oven is used as a mold, and was not connected,” explained Watch Commander Shaun Dakin, officer in charge of the crew, in a statement. “The mixture of fast and hard, by the time we were called, they had already tried to get him free for an hour and a half.”
The 22-year-old man struck on his YouTube stunt. (© West Midlands Fire Service)
Swingler friends had fed with an air pipe in his mouth to help him breathe.
“Take the microwave apart was difficult, because much of it was welded,” explained Dakin. “We video our technical assistance colleagues for advice and eventually managed to release him.”
DRAMATIC VIDEO SHOWS DAREDEVIL JUMPS FROM 800 METERS. CLIFF WITHOUT A PARACHUTE
“He was very relieved when we removed a large part of the Polyfilla with a screwdriver, allowing him to breathe easier,” he added. “But we had to be very careful with the screwdriver, working so closely to his head.”
“As funny as this sounds, this young man could have very easily choked or seriously injured,” said Dakin.
Swingler the YouTube video of the incident was viewed by more than 1 million times. “I never appreciated my life so much ever,” he said, describing his rescue. “Thank you very much for the ambulance and the Fire brigade for helping me out.”
WASP RIP A BEE IN HALF IN THE VIRAL VIDEO
The prankster has a lot of criticism for his salvation.
Firefighters working for the man (© West Midlands Fire service)
“We are seriously impressed,” the West Midlands Fire service tweeted Thursday. “Five of our firefighters were tied up for an hour this afternoon, the freeing of a YouTube pranker whose head had been of ‘cement’ in a microwave.”
We are seriously impressed ?.
Five of our firefighters were tied up for an hour this afternoon, the freeing of a YouTube pranker whose head had been of ‘cement’ in a microwave. Read more: https://t.co/6bZReGuKQX (Photos © West Midlands Fire service) pic.twitter.com/2ch2UhszeH
— West Midlands Fire (@WestMidsFire) December 7, 2017
The Fire brigade aims to reach emergencies within 5 minutes to notice that the time spent on the release of Swingler would be essential if the fire brigade were elsewhere required.
IRON MAN IS REAL: BRITISH INVENTOR BUILDS FLIGHT SUIT
“When we attend incidents that are YouTube videos, where we the people who have been irresponsible, that crew will not be able to attend that life-risk incidents,” said Simon Woodward, a West Midlands Fire service station commander in a video. “What I would like to do is to remind everyone not to put their lives in danger for the sake of other peoples’ entertainment.”
But, he added that Swingler will not be charged the $870 cost of the rescue operation, in which the YouTuber’s life was in danger.
In a YouTube video posted on Friday, Swingler fired back at his critics, but said he would be happy to pay the costs of the rescue. “I expect a good and I am more than happy to pay,” he said. “And I’m more than happy to donate my money to the people that helped me that day.”
Follow James Rogers on Twitter @jamesjrogers