Firefighter injured in crash on the way to a hoverboard fire dies

HARRISBURG, Pa. Pennsylvania fire official who was injured in a crash while responding to a fire death of a young girl has died from his injuries, authorities said.

Lt. Dennis DeVoe, a 21-year veteran, died on Saturday, ” surrounded by his family and friends,” said Harrisburg Fire Chief Brian Enterline, who called him “a leader in our department and the fire department as a whole.”

“His passion for the fire service made each of us strive to be better in everything we do,” Enterline said. “Our hearts are broken and we mourn the loss of our brother.”

DeVoe, who like many other city firefighters had just attended the funeral of a retired firefighter, was on his way to the station to pick up his things before heading to the scene when his vehicle was hit in an intersection, Enterline said.

The police claimed that a vehicle that had been reported stolen went through a stop sign and struck DeVoe’s vehicle on the passenger side and the female driver was seen on the flight. Later, Khanyae Kendall, 18, went to Harrisburg hospital and officers have a meeting with her to take an accident report. The police claims that they provided false information about where and how the accident happened and also showed signs of impairment during a field sobriety test.

Kendall was indicted for aggravated assault by a motor vehicle while driving under the influence, receiving stolen property and other violations. Documents of the court of auditors is not a lawyer who can respond to the costs and the listed phone number for her couldn’t be found Sunday.

A month ago, DeVoe was one of the two firefighters who pulled a man from a burning house, and then called it just another day on the job, reported.

“It’s what we signed up for,” said DeVoe, a husband and father of four children. “I would want someone to do that if it is one of my family members.”

The Friday night fire, he was on the way to, ruled accidental and attributed to a hoverboard connected to charge, claimed the life of Ashanti Hughes, 3, on Saturday, according to the Lehigh County coroner’s office. Two other children were flown to Lehigh Valley Hospital-Cedar Crest burn center. A man and a teenager-young people were treated and released.

Neighbor Crystal Benjamin called the see of the row home rocked in the wind whipped flames and hear people screaming, “The children in the house.” She remembered a girl jumps from the second floor and the roof, and another girl climbing on the roof and stuck there, not knowing where to go, until she was rescued by firefighters.

“Seeing the little girl on the roof, not knowing how to get away,” Benjamin said, breaking off as she broke into tears, reported.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular