Martin P. Duffey, left, and Christopher C. Fallon, Jr., center, which his lawyers for Johnny Bobbitt, and Ernest E. Badway, right, the lawyer for the Kate McClure, and Mark D’amico, listen during a hearing on the missing funds in the Johnny Bobbitt case in the Olde Historic Court house in Mt. Holly, NJ, Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2018. McClure and D’amico, are accused of mismanaging the money collected for Bobbitt. (David Maialetti/Philadelphia Inquirer via AP, Pool)
FLORENCE, N. J. – Authorities said Thursday they have opened a criminal investigation and executed a search warrant at the home of a New Jersey couple who raised $400,000 online for a homeless good Samaritan who is now claiming that they mismanaged the money.
Burlington County Prosecutor Scott Coffina said in a Facebook post, he was the validation of the research because of the “huge public interest” in the case, though no charges have been filed.
Authorities executed the warrant on Mark D ‘Amico and Katelyn McClure’s home in Florence, New Jersey, about 30 miles (48 km) northeast of Philadelphia, and were seen for the placing of a BMW on a flatbed truck, according to 6ABC.
Their attorney, Ernest Badway, has not returned phone calls seeking an answer. He has previously declined to comment.
It is the latest news in a case that captured international headlines, and at first it seemed to illustrate the kindness of strangers, but has since changed into a dispute on how and who spend the money donated online of 14,000 people.
The couple is sued by Johnny Bobbitt, who got the McClure gas late one night in 2017 if she was stranded in Philadelphia. She set up a GoFundMe page for him, but the relationship soured.
Bobbitt’s lawyer says that he was told that all the money is gone. It is unclear what happened, but McClure and D’amico have denied any wrongdoing.
In court on Wednesday, Superior Court Judge Paula Dow ordered the couple to give a sworn statement as well as turn over documents as part of the case. Bobbitt, whose lawyer says that he is entering a drug addiction program, which will also be deposited on Monday.
Neither the couple nor Bobbitt was in court Wednesday.
Badway, the couple’s lawyer, refused to answer reporters’ questions after Wednesday to hear and not to respond directly to the message looking for comment Thursday. He stated in court this week that his clients intend to claim their right not to testify, but Dow said she needed to hear from them in person.
Chris Fallon, Bobbitt’s lawyer, also not immediately respond Thursday to a request for comment.
The story in the first instance, led to gigs for Bobbitt and McClure on shows such as Good Morning America,” and an interview with the BBC.
But a dispute over the money has since its creation.
D’amico has said Bobbitt spent $25,000 in less than two weeks of last year the drugs and to pay for overdue legal bills and sending money to family.
The couple also bought Bobbitt a motorhome with a number of the cash and parked it on the land of McClure’s family owns in New Jersey. But Bobbitt was homeless again after D’amico, told him in June that he had to leave the house.
During a recent appearance on NBC’s “Megyn Kelly Today,” D’amico told Kelly there was also over $150,000 to the left of the donations.
In court Wednesday, Badway said Bobbitt has received $200,000, but Bobbitt’s lawyer said that he had received about $ 75,000, including the camper and a 1999 Ford Ranger.