FC Utrecht beat Valletta and reached third qualifying round Europa League

FC Utrecht beat Valletta and reached third qualifying round Europa League

FC Utrecht last Thursday, the third qualifying round of the Europa League reached. The team of trainer Erik ten Hag was in the return in Waalwijk, the netherlands a bit too big for Valletta FC: 3-1.

The heenwedstrijd in Malta was last week in a goalless draw ended. In the return, which, due to the european CHAMPIONSHIPS women’s was played at the Mandemakers Stadium of RKC Waalwijk, put FC Utrecht, however, the krachtsverschil expose.

Sean Klaiber led after eighteen minutes on a beautiful way for the opening goal. The fullback pulled in a couple of times on the edge of the penalty area and left goalkeeper Henry Bonello no chance.

Willem Janssen threw the contest a quarter of an hour for time slot with a brilliant header, and the final chord, on behalf of Utrecht was for Zakaria Labyad, who hit the ball beautifully in the far corner curled. Valletta made only in the final stage, what back, but the rake header of Santiago Malano came much too late for the visitors from Malta.

FC Utrecht encounter in the third qualifying round on the Norwegian Haugesund or Lech Poznan from Poland. That match is still in progress. The heenwedstrijd in the third qualifying round is on July 27 played, a week later, the return.

FC Utrecht-Valletta FC


© Proshots

© Proshots

Sean Klaiber cheers after his wonderful match against Valletta FC.

Share this photo via:

Back to slideshow


Just as in the heenwedstrijd started At the Hag with pointed Cyriel Dessers and defender Ramon Leeuwin, which is not fully fit. The two players came in the second half still out in the field, just as zeventienvoudig international Urby Emanuelson.

Where FC Utrecht in the heenwedstrijd against Valletta could not impress, the Domstedelingen on the artificial turf at the Mandemakers Stadium is a lot better for the day. Striker Simon Makienok was all within ten minutes a great chance, but the free-standing Table and gave too little power to his bet there.

A moment later, it was still touch for Utrecht. A defender of malta, Valletta, headed the ball, albeit from the penalty area, but right in the feet of Klaiber. Who took the ball in the air and shot beautiful touch. After 37 minutes had Makienok the margin should increase after a beautiful through ball from the same Klaiber, but once again, it was the striker not keen in the closing. This time he saw his bet right next to the pole end up.

Valletta had himself barely see for the purpose of David Jensen, but came in the first half was dangerous after a sloppy losing the ball from Mark van der Maarel. The broken Maximiliano Velasco, however, was not fast enough and botched the countermogelijkheid.


In the second half it was the Argentine striker that FC Utrecht’s pain could have done. Velasco came to the side and had the ball actually have to travel, but went for his own success and saw his attempt in the zijnet end up.

The odds for Valletta were, moreover, be counted on one hand, while the dominant FC Utrecht after rest failed to match earlier in the slot to throw. Dessers fell a quarter of an hour after rest in for Gyrano Church and received a great chance, but his shot went aside. A moment later, was also Makienok again unlucky in the closing.

The supporters of FC Utrecht were able to fifteen minutes, relieved the breathing. Captain Janssen was nice touch from a corner of Labyad, who is himself a moment later for the 3-0 opinion. The midfielder curled the ball from the left side on the beautiful manner in the far corner. The finale, however, was for Valletta, but the rake header of Malano from a corner was not enough for FC Utrecht to hurt.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular