News

Faulty boiler in NYC high-rise triggers carbon monoxide leak, dozens of reported pain

At least 32 people were sick on Tuesday after a faulty boiler led to a carbon monoxide leak in a Manhattan high-rise, in which an evacuation, New York City fire officials said.

The fire brigade were called to the 12-story TriBeCa building between Murray Street and West Broadway about 8 a.m. after people reported high levels of carbon monoxide coming from the basement, FDNY Chief James Leonard said. The FIREFIGHTERS initially reported a fire at the location.

High CO readings in the bldg, units evacuated a 12-story bldg. and are still looking adjacent structures. Activities will continue to be https://t.co/rLdbjhNOqU

— FDNY (@FDNY) 13 June 2017

People in the building reported to the officers that the high carbon monoxide levels occurred when they opened a suspicious package in the basement, which is white powder.

When officials arrived on the scene, they discovered a faulty water heater with a broken pipe that was releasing high amounts of the toxic gas in the building, Leonard said.

Emergency vehicles in the area of W. Broadway & Murray St due to a carbon monoxide incident. Expect heavy delays in the area. pic.twitter.com/BkuxQYiCh7

— NYPD NEWS (@NYPDnews) 13 June 2017

GOOD SAMARITANS SAVE WOMAN TRAPPED IN HOUSE FIRE

The building was evacuated. Thirty-two people, mainly in the basement and the first floor were to take to the hospital for carbon monoxide-related injuries after allegedly being exposed to the gas, for a very short time, Leonard said.

Bomb squad examined the package — a box with a salad bowl that was delivered the day before — and declared that there was ” no danger.”

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular