connectVideoTom Ford slams fake tweet claiming that he referred to Melania Trump as a ‘glorified escort’
A tweet claimed that the designer Tom Ford said that he would not dress first lady Melania Trump because she was a ‘glorified escort’ with a ‘bad taste in men.’ However, Ford says the statement is completely false.
Fashion designer Tom Ford slammed a fake tweet that claimed that he refused to dress first lady Melania Trump, and called her a “glorified escort” with a “bad taste in men” — a message that became a trending topic on Twitter, despite the fact that it is false.
“This is an absolutely manufactured and completely fake quote that somehow went viral. Mr. Ford is not making this statement; it is completely false,” a Tom Ford spokeswoman said on Tuesday at the fashion company Twitter.
The debacle seemed to begin Monday in to an account with more than 16,500 followers, tweeted: “Tom Ford refuses to dress Melania Trump: ‘I have no interest in dressing a glorified escort who steals the talks and has poor taste in men.'”
WIFE STORES SEXY BLACK MESH BODYCON DRESS AS A ‘JOKE’ SHOWS HOW ‘SIZE 8’ ALLEGEDLY FITS
Ford said in 2016 that he would not dress the first lady, but the quote is attributed to him was completely false. The fashion designer told ABC’s “The View” that he is not dressing Trump because they are not “real picture” and believed the first lady should be wearing American designs that were affordable.
“She is not necessarily my picture,” Ford said. “Also, the first lady, other than the fact that I am a Democrat and voted for Hillary [Clinton]…but even had Hillary won, she may not be wearing my clothes — they are too expensive.”
He doubled his attitude and further explained his reason to Elle.
“I think that whoever is the president, the first lady, need to wear clothes for a price accessible for most Americans, and the wearing of clothes made in America,” Ford said in a January 2017 interview. “My clothes are made in Italy, they’re very, very expensive. I don’t think most women or men in our country can relate to that, and I think that the first lady or the president should be for all people.”
Despite the fact that it is fake, by Tuesday morning the tweet had received more than 13,000 likes and 3,000 retweets, and it ended up on Twitter’s top trending topics, the Washington Post reported.
The Twitter-user who posted the first tweet later took the post and apologized for spreading false information, saying that he is based off a screenshot of a Daily Mail article that he later discovered was changed. The writer of the original article about Tom Ford’s statement also confirmed it was a fake screenshot.
“It was not intentional [sic], please accept my apologies again,” the user wrote Tuesday.
CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP
By the time that the tweet was deemed false, several people had already praised and beat the designer. Others tried to stop the dissemination of false information by tweeting from the 2016-interview.
Ford was also the chairman of the Council of Fashion Designers of America on Tuesday.