Users on social media were not pleased with Facebook demonstration of a violent VR game at the Conservative Political Action Conference.
Facebook has faced a backlash after it showed a virtual reality shooting game on a right-wing political conference on Friday.
The tech company, which was already facing criticism from some quarters for the donation of funds to the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), was criticized when a video is posted on Twitter of her demo of a virtual reality game called “Bullet Train,” in which players use an imaginary gun to shoot players on a train.
The social media giant is removed from the demonstration game and one of its managers, expressed “regret” about the CPAC incident, in the wake of the growing control of all things gun-related after the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting left 17 dead and galvanized students nationwide to demand change.
Facebook is at CPAC, and they have a VR shooting game pic.twitter.com/wmV23jezpN
— Sean Morrow (@snmrrw), 23 February 2018
FACEBOOK EXEC APOLOGIZES FOR RUSSIA TO PROBE TWEETS, REPORT SAYS
We removed the demo and regret, you do so at the start. We got this wrong. Our demo’s will come out w a standard set of content, some are action games w violence. This may not have been present, especially in the light of the recent events and out of respect for the victims and their families.
— Hugo Barra (@hbarra), 23 February 2018
In a statement to Fox News, Hugo Barra, Facebook, vice-president of the FRI, said that the company has a “standard set” of demos for events, including the “action games” with “violence.”
“In the light of the recent events in Florida, and out of respect for the victims and their families, we have this demo. We regret that We do not have to do so in the first place,” he said in a statement.
The game is for Facebook, the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset.
The conservative gathering in Maryland, where representatives of the National Rifle Association, came a week after a shooter armed with an AR-15 rifle opened fire in the South Florida high school.
“The images that the attack of the victims of last week’s tragedy in Florida are horrible,” said Mary deBree, head of content policy, in an e-mail. “We remove content from Facebook.”
Christopher Carbone is a reporter for FoxNews.com. Follow him on Twitter @christocarbone.