News

Facebook under fire as watchdog disputes claim New Zealand massacre video is not marked

connectVideoNew Zealand mass shooting was partly streamed live on Facebook

Former Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis says that there is an increase in the live-streaming of the terror attacks.

Facebook is under fire after a watchdog group is contesting the tech giant’s claim that no one reported the New Zealand carnage livestream video during the attack itself.

The horrific images, which are the result of a body-camera worn by the alleged shooter, showed worshippers at two Christchurch mosques killed.

Jared Holt, a researcher with a watchdog group that monitors “right-radical” political organizations, said that he will flag the video for removal mid-attack after someone sent him a link to that had been posted to the message board 8chan.

YOUTUBE EFFORT TO REMOVE NEW ZEALAND SHOOTING VIDEOS. THIS IS THE REASON WHY

“I got a link to the 8chan post by someone who was afraid soon after it is placed. I followed the Facebook link shared in the post. It was mid-attack, and it was awful. I reported. Either Facebook is either lying or their system was not working properly,” said Holt on Twitter.

Holt also said that he never received any kind of notification after the submission of the report.

“I don’t think that Facebook would deliberately lie about this, especially because I think that law enforcement is asking for information,” said Holt. “I’m incredibly confused about what happened to that report and if it was ever received to begin with.”

Fox News reached Facebook for comment.

Tech giants, together with other platforms, such as Google-owned YouTube, are struggling to contain the anger over the spread of the nauseating images.

‘SHAME!’: ARLINGTON APPROVES $23M INCENTIVES PACKAGE FOR AMAZON

Facebook claims that the original video has been viewed less than 200 times during the live broadcast of the massacre. Including the view during the attack, it was viewed about 4,000 times total before being taken down from Facebook. The first user report on the original video came in 29 minutes after the video started and at 12 minutes after the live broadcast began, the company said in a blog post.

This Saturday, March 16, 2019, file photo, flowers lay at a memorial near the Al-Masjid Al-Noor mosque for the victims in last week’s shooting in Christchurch, New Zealand. (AP Photo/Vincent Yu, File)

The social network also said that a user on 8chan posted a link to a copy of the video on a file-sharing site Facebook was alerted to the video.

“We remain shocked and saddened by this tragedy and are committed to working with leaders in New Zealand, other governments, and in the technology industry to help counter hatred and the threat of terrorism,” Chris Sonderby, Facebook’s vice-president and Deputy General Counsel, said in a statement.

The Mark Zuckerberg-led company has removed 1.5 million videos of the attack worldwide within the first 24 hours and more than 1.2 million of which were blocked on the upload — which means that they were prevented from having regard to the services of the company.

The defendant wrote in his 74-page manifesto, that he has paid for his travels with money from bitcoin investments and described himself as a white supremacist who was out to seek revenge for attacks in Europe are committed by Muslims.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

Fox News’ Katherine Lamb contributed to this story.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular