Erdogan calls charges against his security guards in U.S. ‘scandalous’
Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan will find it outrageous that security of him have been indicted in the United States because of involvement in a large brawl in Washington in may.
“It is a scandalous sign of how the legal system in the US works”, he said Friday.
The battles took place during the visit of Erdogan to the US. Security officers of the Turkish government went on the fist with protesters against the Turkish government outside the residence of the Turkish ambassador in the American capital. In total were eleven persons injured, among them a police officer.
Last Tuesday it was announced that a further three security guards of Erdogan to be sued. Previously were already twelve Turkish security guards as a suspect. Some of them are suspected of a crime, others would have been found guilty of less significant violations. The charges can lead to prison sentences of up to fifteen years.
Anti-Erdogan protests Turkish embassy Washington escalates
Currently sitting two of the total of nineteen suspects. They have the Turkish nationality and living in the USA. Next week they should be in the court appearance. The chance is small that the other defendants ever for an American right will appear. They left a few hours after the incident with Erdogan from the US.
It is not the first time that the Turkish president is evil to the issue. In June he told the news channel CNN Türk “everything in the work, political, or diplomatic, to the two free”.
The American ministry of Foreign Affairs condemned the fighting and called it an attack on freedom of expression.