closevideo what’s to come from the US military withdrawal from Syria? Kurds could be in danger of possible attacks from Turkey
Two senior lawmakers, is a Republican, the other Democrat President Trump condemns the announced withdrawal of troops from Syria and Afghanistan, and regretted the departure of Minister of defense of Jim Mattis from the White house.
Seen on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Sens. Pat Toomey, R-Pa., and Dick Durbin, D-Ill., both disagreed with Trump’s move to withdraw troops from the Middle East, with the former, which is not to say that Trump’s views are in line with those of the Republicans in the Senate.
“I don’t think the President shares this view almost to the extent that the rest of us do,” said Toomey. “I think need senators to take a step, and again a greater role for the Senate in defining foreign policy.”
For his part, Durbin said that he personally Mattis asked to leave his post as Secretary of defense, with the argument that the long-time military man, was a voice of reason in the White house in matters relating to the armed forces and national security.
“I was one of many senators, which was private with General Mattis, and said:” please, stay as long as you can; we urgently need your Mature voice and your patriotism in the room, if the President is life-or-death decisions about national security,” said Durbin on the Sunday morning talk show.
The Illinois legislature added that the relationship between Mattis and Trump had “a break.”
Trump announced on Sunday that the Minister of defence James Mattis, the administration of 1. January, weeks earlier than planned and just a few days after Mattis’ bombshell resignation letter made clear, his political disagreements with the White house.
“I am pleased to announce that our very talented Deputy Minister of defence, Patrick Shanahan, will assume the title of Acting Secretary of Defense from 1. January 2019” Trump wrote on Twitter on Sunday morning. “Patrick has a long list of achievements during his service as Deputy and previously Boeing. He will be great!”
In his letter of resignation Thursday, Mattis, 68, had said he would continue in his role for more than three months Also on Thursday, Trump had said Mattis — the first Cabinet officer in 40 years, to resign over a policy difference with the President was to leave in February.
It was not immediately clear why Mattis’ departure date was apparently moved, but tension in the Ministry of defence has made leaps and bounds since his sudden resignation. Sources told Fox News this week, Mattis’ resignation “in protest” of the President of the national security policy, and the tail was kicking.
The message that Mattis is leaving earlier than expected, comes just days after Brett McGurk, the U.S. envoy for the global coalition to defeat the Islamic state (ISIS), accelerated on Saturday his planned departure, and has announced his resignation.
The Associated Press reported that McGurk said in a resignation letter to foreign Minister Mike Pompeo, the ISIS was on the run, but was not yet defeated and that the United States work in Syria was not yet ready. Fox News has confirmed that the McGurk submitted his resignation letter on Friday, a day after Mattis retired. McGurk resignation is effective December 31.
Fox News’ Jennifer Griffin, Gregg Re, and The Associated Press contributed to this report.