Duck boat capsized in the midst of fast-changing conditions on Missouri, says NTSB



The inspector says he tried to warn Missouri duck boat company

The inspector says that he tried to ward duck boat company about design flaws for up to 17 people were killed in Missouri.

Conditions Missouri more quickly went from calm to dangerous July 19, resulting in the capsizing of a duck boat and the death of 17 people, the National Transportation Safety Board said Friday in preliminary findings.

The NTSB gathered evidence of a video recorder system that divers recovered after the tourist boat sank in the Table Rock Lake near Branson. Of the 31 passengers on board, 17 died.

If you have a video or photos of the July 19, amphibious vehicle accident on Table Rock Lake near Branson, MO, or if you witnessed the accident, please contact the NTSB via e-mail at

— NTSB_Newsroom (@NTSB_Newsroom) 20 July 2018

Although no conclusions were reached, what was the cause of the accident, the preliminary findings show that more terms have been changed within a few minutes, the council said.

According to the NTSB, the captain and the pilot on board the ship at 6:27 pm on The video seems to show someone, but a minute later, steps on the back of the ship and advise the crew to the water portion of the tour first. (Duck boats operate on both water and land.)

A minute later, with passengers boarding, the captain made a reference to the weather radar prior to the trip.

The ship in the water around 6:55 p.m. at a time when the water appeared calm, the NTSB said. In fact, in the next five minutes the captain may have four different children sitting in the driver’s seat.

But suddenly, just after 7 am, whitecaps quickly appeared on the water and the wind increased, the NTSB said. The captain returned to the driver’s seat.

The driver reduced plastic side curtains and at 7:01 pm the captain made a comment about the storm.

At 7:03 pm the captain made a call on a portable radio, but the content was unintelligible. A minute later, an electronic sound associated with the bilge alarm activated, until about a minute later, when the captain reached down and the alarm is stopped.

The captain made a call on a portable radio at 7:05, but the content was incomprehensible.

Over the next few minutes, the water splashed into the passenger compartment.

At 7:07 pm, an electronic sound associated with the bilge alarm is re-activated.

At 7:08 pm, the inward-facing video-recording ends as the ship was still on the surface of the water.

The national transportation safety board investigation, based on multiple tracks, will produce an “interim factual report” in the next few weeks, but a complete report is probably a year away.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Paulina Dedaj is a writer/ reporter for Fox News. Follow her on Twitter @PaulinaDedaj.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular