Dozens of people overcome by carbon monoxide in Belgian karthal
About seventy visitors of a new indoor karting in the Walloon-Brabant-Wavre are Saturday unwell by carbon monoxide. At least five people were severely poisoned, twelve moderately and five lightly, reports mayor Françoise Pigeolet.
The municipality of Wavre proposed urban contingency plan in operation. The victims were transferred to hospitals in the surrounding area and their families were collected.
Just before midnight was the contingency plan will be lifted. “All persons were evacuated, and no victim is still in danger”, says Pigeolet. A specially equipped emergency operations centre is now closed..
According to multiple posts would be the extraction system for the exhaust gases not have worked well. “It is a hypothesis that the researchers need to investigate, the public prosecutor has an expert been appointed,” said Pigeolet.
The karthal would be Tuesday only open to the public. Saturday night was opening ceremonies for invitees will take place, Belgian media.