Dozens of heard Amelia Earhart on the radio for help after crashing in the Pacific ocean: report

In this May 20, 1937 photo, which by The Paragon Agency, shows aviator Amelia Earhart and her Electra plane, taken by Albert Bresnik at the Burbank Airport in Burbank, California.

(Albert Bresnik/The Paragon Agency via AP)

Dozens of people from around the world heard of Amelia Earhart and her navigator Freed Noonan radio for help after crashing in the Pacific Ocean and becoming stranded on a remote island, according to researchers.

The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR) theorizes that Earhart and Noonan were able to join the service in their two-way radios in the downed Lockheed Electra sending requests for help in their last days stranded on the deserted Gardner Island, also known as Nikumaroro, The Washington Post reported.

“Here,” Earhart heard to say at one point, according to the paper citing TIGHAR’s. research. “We can’t stay here.”

A woman in Toronto heard the pilot say, “we have taken in the water . . . we can’t much longer.”

Earhart and Noonan could only use the radio for a few hours each night, when the tide was low in oder to not flood the engine as the plane rested on the island reef, The Post reported.

Authorities asked the public’s help to listen to the radio frequencies Earhart had used on her journey after her disappearance on July 2, 1937 during a flight from Papua-New Guinea to Howland Island when they tried to be the first women to travel around the world, according to TIGHAR.

While most of the seekers heard nothing, some listeners all over North America heard Earnhardt’s cries for help, The Post reported, citing research by TIGHAR.

The day after the crash, a Kentucky woman claimed she heard the pilot say “KHAQQ calling,” before she says that she was “on or near little island at a point in the neighborhood.” . . and “something about a storm and the wind is blowing,” says The Post.

The age-old mystery continues to baffle the scientific community, while some are convinced that Gardner Island, Earhart’s final resting place, another theory suggests that she met her end on Mili Atoll in the Marshall Islands.

As for the castaway theory, 13, human bones were found on Gardner Island three years after Earhart’s disappearance. The bones, but were subsequently lost.

Ric Gillespie, director of TIGHAR, told The Post that the messages were sent out over a course of six days, and is proof that Earhart and Noonan died as castaways, in place of the U. S. Navy’s claim that they died after the plane crashed and sank somewhere in the Pacific ocean.

“These active versus quiet periods, and the fact that the message changes on July 5 and begins to be concerned about the water and then constantly concerned about the water, after that there is a story there,” Gillespie told the Post.

Four bone-sniffing dogs were recently brought to Nikumaroro as part of an expedition sponsored by TIGHAR, and the National Geographic Society.

National Geographic reported on July 7 that the dogs have located the place where Earhart may have died. No bones, but, although plans are made to send soil samples from the place for DNA-research in Germany.

Gillespie also told the Post he understands that he needs more data to support his theory.

Fox News’ James Rogers contributed to this report.

Benjamin Brown is a reporter from Fox News. Follow him on Twitter @bdbrown473.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular