BOCA RATON, Florida. – Authorities say the diver is recovering in hospital after he was stung by a poisonous lionfish off Florida and the Atlantic coast near Boca Raton.
Assistant Chief Michael LaSalle of Boca Raton Fire Rescue tells local media the man was diving in about 100 feet of water when he was stung Thursday, felt a tingling sensation in his upper body and emerged.
He says that the man in his mid-50s was brought to dockside and flown to St. Mary’ s Medical Center in West Palm Beach, as it is a decompression chamber, in particular, used for the treatment of injured divers.
The man, not immediately identified, was reported in stable condition.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says on its website that lionfish are non-native in Atlantic waters, have few predators, and their venomous spines can be very painful.