News

DeVos blasts media over ‘shameful’ coverage of the Special Olympics planned cuts

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos speaks during a house appropriations Subcommittee hearing on the budget on Capitol Hill in Washington, March 26, 2019. (Associated Press)

Education Secretary Besty DeVos blasted the media Wednesday, accusing news agencies to report “untruths” about her Department’s plan to cut funds for the Special Olympics.

“It is unacceptable, shameful and counter-productive that the media and some members of Congress have spun falsehoods and completely wrong on the facts,” DeVos said in a statement.

“Make no mistake: we focus daily on the increase expectations and improve results for infants and toddlers, children and young people with disabilities and to engage us in confrontation with and overcome, nothing stands in the way of success,” she continued.

TO VISIT BETSY DEVOS STRUGGLING SOUTH CAROLINA SCHOOLS

DeVos drew attention to the $13.2 billion in Federal grants to States for special training.

The Secretary faced a storm of criticism after she was grilled by the house appropriations sub-Committee about the proposed cuts that would eliminate nearly $18 million in Federal funds for the athletic competition for disabled young people and adults when you call for a $60-million increase in charter school funding.

She said she has “personally the” Special Olympics, added supports, but that it could be supported by philanthropy. The Special Olympics received $17.6 million from the Education Department this year, according to records.

In her statement, she said, the organization collects more than $100 million per year, and that “There are dozens of worthy non-profit organizations, the support of pupils and adults with disabilities who do not get a dime of Federal grant money.”

“But given our current budget realities, the Federal government does not Fund can every worthy program, especially those who benefit from the reliable support of private donations.”

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Meanwhile, U.S. sen Roy Blunt, R-Mo., the chairs of the Senate appropriations Subcommittee, said on Wednesday that the proposed cuts would not be approved.

“I’m a long-time supporter of the Special Olympics and are proud that Missouri is home to the largest Special Olympics training Center in the world,” Blunt said in a statement, according to the Washington Times. “I was just at the World Games and saw, as I did many times before, what a great impact the organization has on the athletes, their families, and their communities. Our Department of education appropriations bill does not cut funding for the program.”

Just last week, Blunt the 2019 Special Olympics World Summer Games, visited, held in Abu Dhabi, Roll Call reported.

DeVos is expected that you have your budget to Stump the panel on Thursday.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular