News

Detroit man has been acquitted of the 1992 deadly shooting, walks free

A 51-year-old man, is convinced that a judge contrary to all expectations, in Detroit the police are after him, framed in a fatal shooting incident 25 years ago with a fake bullet proof.

Mr. Ricks was found guilty of the killing of Gerry Bennett on March 3, 1992. He was sentenced to 32 years in prison. His conviction was destroyed Friday with seven years of his sentence.

The trial evidence against Ricks two pristine bullets, and prosecutors said that he has recovered from the victim.

Photos obtained by his lawyers in 2015 showed that the wrong bullets. The bullets that killed Bennet in bad shape.

New tests showed that one of those bullets come from the gun police said was the murder weapon. The other bullet was not tested because of its mutilated condition.

“Ricks was a great advocate for his own case,” attorney David Moran said. “What he said seemed bizarre: The Detroit police crime lab would not only errors, but switch bullets. It was not so ridiculous — it was true. This bizarre behavior cost Mr. Ricks 25 years.”

Ricks told the Associated Press that he wants to get a job, pay taxes, and just a “normal citizen.” He said that he wants to reunite with two daughters and six grandchildren that he has never seen.

In 1992, Ricks was with Bennett when Bennett was shot in the head outside a restaurant. Ricks said he ran away, dodging gunfire. But a few days later, the police pinned the murder on him, and grabbed his mother’s gun.

“I was at the wrong place at the wrong time. I had nothing to do with this,” Ricks told The Associated Press earlier this year. “They switched the bullets on me.”

Ricks had an important ally in his bid to reopen the case: an independent firearms expert who was involved in the ’92 trial. He found David Townshend’s name in a law journal in 2009, and wrote him from prison.

Judge Richard Skutt threw Ricks’ of the second degree murder conviction Friday after the Wayne County prosecutor’s office agreed to be deleted. It is possible that he could face a second trial, but that seems very unlikely. Spokeswoman Maria Miller, said that the next step will be discussed in the district court on 1 June.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

 

 

 

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular