News

Crews fighting California Holy Fire containment progress, officials say

close


Video

Crews gaining ground on deadly CA Holy Fire

Firefighters are gaining ground on the arson-fueled Sacred Fire in California.

Crews battling the flames of the so-called Holy Fire tearing through Southern California are steadily making progress, as inclusion has almost tripled within a day, officials said Saturday.

Although the achievement of more than 21,000 acres, the blaze is now 29 percent contained, up drastically from only 10 percent on Friday, according to the Twitter account of the Cleveland National Forest (CNF).

#Holyfire New Fire numbers from this morning: 21,473 acres with 29% containment!

— Cleveland NF (@ClevelandNF) August 11, 2018

#Holyfire. Evening update: 19,107 acres with 10% containment.

— Cleveland NF (@ClevelandNF) August 11, 2018

Several areas in Lake Elsinore also had their evacuation orders lifted Saturday, specifically Horsethief Canyon, Rice Canyon, McVicker Canyon, the agency said. A number of road closures, however, remained.

ARSON SUSPECT CALLS A ‘LIE’ CALIFORNIA’S SACRED FIRE GROWS

“The public is asked to be careful when re-entering the affected area,” the CNF a tweet said. “Heavy equipment and the fire department will continue to work in the area. Residents should be vigilant and be prepared for changing circumstances.”

AP photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez

(A truck and a street are covered in fire retardant dropped by an air tanker as crews battled a forest fire on Friday in Lake Elsinore, Calif.)

Aircraft have a number of flights, the dumping water and flame retardant to protect Lake Elsinore and the other foot communities as the flames sweep through the dense, bone-dry brush of the Cleveland National Forest. The Holy Fire began on Monday.

FIGHT 18 CHARACTERS, IN CALIFORNIA, MAY BE FACING THE WORST FIRE SEASON

An arrest has been made in relation to the Sacred Fire. Forrest Gordon Clark, 51, was booked into Orange County Jail on August 8, 2018, on suspicion of two counts of felony arson, one count of the crime, threat to terrorize, and one count of the crime of resisting arrest. pic.twitter.com/CMspxOIvSk

— Cleveland NF (@ClevelandNF) August 8, 2018

Authorities arrested the suspect earlier this week – Forrest Gordon Clark, 51 – he is accused of intentionally starting the fire. He appeared in court on Friday, but his arraignment was postponed, and he called his arson charge of a “lie” of The Orange County Register reported.

Clark also allegedly made several outbursts and claimed that his life was threatened.

Fox News’ Amy Place, and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular