News

“Children from poor families are more likely to have behavioural problems’

“Children from poor families are more likely to have behavioural problems’

Children who grow up in poverty are more likely to have social, emotional and behavioural problems than other peers.

This involves children from households with an income that, on average, 60 percent lower than the national average.

Researchers from the University’s Department of Public Health and Policy for their research 6.063 British families followed for eight years. All these families lived at the beginning of the research above the poverty line.

The income of 14 percent of these families fell during this period under the poverty line. The researchers compared the mental health of children from these families with children from the other 86 percent of the households.

Children from a poor family were 40 percent more likely to have behavioural problems, showed that the equation published in The Lancet Public Health.

Mothers

Also the mental health of the mothers from both types of families were compared. The women are from a family that lived below the poverty level had a 44 percent greater risk of developing mental health problems, which may also impact on the health of their child(ren).

“This comprehensive study shows that the mental health of children affected by poverty,” says Alison Garnham of the Child poverty Action Group. “The fact that one or the four children grows up in poverty, should alarm bells do start ringing.”

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular