in the vicinityVideoBeto O’rourke says that he raised $6.1 million in the first 24 hours after the announcement of the White house to run
DURHAM, N. H. – Contrasting Texan Beto O’rourke and other rivals for the democratic presidential nomination, Julian Castro, even with a fellow, on Monday stressed that he “spoke in concrete and specific terms and conditions” and “didn ‘ T grow to the top.”
Castro, the former San Antonio mayor, later Secretary of housing and urban development under President Barack Obama, who also acknowledged his bid was a long shot, with the words “if the election were held tomorrow, I don’t know that I have to win tomorrow. But the election is not tomorrow. We still have 47 weeks, until New Hampshire votes.”
Castro spoke with Fox News during a jam-Packed, 24-hour trip to New Hampshire, the state that holds the first primary in the race for the White house. His visit came when O’rourke was a massive $announced 6.1 million fundraising haul in the first day of his presidential campaign, the most by any of the 2020 Democratic White house hopeful. O’rourke declared his candidacy last week, attacking large crowds and extensive coverage in the media.
BETO O’ROURKE DRAWS Big MONEY AND MASSES, BUT ALSO Great to SLIP OUT of THE GATE
“I did not grow on the top of the tab. In the neighborhood I grew up in, the way I grew up, the way that many people grow up from different backgrounds, they do not grow up to be the frontrunner,” said Castro, the only Latino candidate in the race.
While O’rourke has been criticised in the past days of growing up with white male privilege, Castro stressed that a longer recording candidate who grew up with modest means could benefit him in the urn.
Julian Castro questions Monday from students and teachers at an event at the University of New Hampshire in Durham.
BETO O ‘ROURKE’ S EYE POPPING FUNDRAISING HAUL
“I’m going to go outside and talk to a whole bunch of people in New Hampshire and across the country, not the feeling that you are the front-runners in either these days. And I think that a lot of people,” he said.
Castro – who is launching a presidential exploratory committee in December, and formally declared his candidacy in January – also appeared to pick up on the criticism of O’rourke’s lack of policy specifics in the election campaign.
“I have spoken, in concrete and specific terms about the type of things we need to do,” he announced.
Castro also contrasts himself with O’rourke and other 2020 rivals, who have served in Congress, said: “I am one of the few people in this race, have leadership experience. That has a track record of getting things done. And I think people are ready for someone who actually knows what they are doing.”
The question about the wall-to-wall coverage in the media, O ‘Rourke’ s start and his early foray into the election campaign, Castro said: “my hope is that all of the candidates in this race, with 15 or 16 in this race, will have an opportunity to show the American people what they are.”
“The democratic party learned a lot from the experience in the year 2016 and there, that you have made to ensure positive changes that people have about the entire spectrum of a voice. The networks have, hopefully, learned a lot, as well. And hopefully you will be changes in terms of how they treat all of the candidates. This is just so important, because voters rely on these networks to get your information,” he added.
Castro was making his second swing through New Hampshire since officially announced his candidacy declared. His trip to the granite state came directly to stations in Nevada, the first Western state the first in the South primary, in the primary and caucus calendar, and South Carolina, which holds.