Cal Fire officials on efforts to suppress 17 forest fires in the state
The fire department hopes to have more favourable weather conditions as the flames spread.
California officials tracking developments of the Carr Fire in the northern part of the state allegedly made a mistake last week when they unnecessarily added a city to a mandatory evacuation order.
The entire area of Shasta Lake, with a population of about 10,000 people, was not intended to be included on Cal Fire in the press release that the mandatory evacuations, The Sacramento Bee reported Tuesday, quoting the Shasta County Sheriff Tom Bosenko.
Instead, Top Town, which in the Shasta Lake, was meant to be included, City Manager John Duckett told the newspaper on Monday.
#CarrFire [Evacuation Update] at Whiskeytown, in the Trinity/Shasta County pic.twitter.com/8mVl3jJxGh
— CAL FIRE SHU (@CALFIRESHU) July 27, 2018
CALIFORNIA CARR FIRE IS THE 9TH MOST DESTRUCTIVE IN STATE HISTORY; TWIN BLAZES THREATENING 10K HOUSES
Duckett recalled being baffled by the whole city, the integration, according to the report, and learned that, although Cal Fire had allegedly made an error in the press release, officials were inclined to leave it as it stood, so that no one lives in a true mandatory evacuation zones would go back to their homes too early.
“I called the sheriff and he said that they made a mistake — someone on the wrong button,” Duckett told the outlet. “I said: ‘Can you change?’ And he called back and said, ” Well, they are not going to let go of, they are going to make it, but they are not going to enforce it.'”
While at least one resident described the situation as “a little confusing,” The Bee reported, Bonnie Hurlhey, the executive director of the Chamber of Commerce, told the outlet that the local officials did their part in notifying the residents that they were not required to leave.
2-YEAR-OLD DISTRUBTES BURRITOS TO CARR FIRE THE FIRE BRIGADE IN THE VIRAL VIDEO
“Our city staff, Shasta Lake Fire District, Shasta County sheriff, they were all here to help us, no matter what,” Hurlhey said. “They made sure that we all knew what was going on.”
#CarrFire [update] Additional Carr Fire Restocking Information 7/30/18 to 6:00 PM pic.twitter.com/jSD6OC60m2
— CAL FIRE SHU (@CALFIRESHU) July 31, 2018
The order was eventually waived a few days later in an updated Cal Fire news release, but the evacuation for the Top City remained in place.
The Carr Fire, which broke out on 23 July, has charred more than 110,000 acres so far and as of Tuesday was only 27 per cent contained, according to Cal Fire.