News

California’s Holy Fire requires new mandatory evacuations, officials say

close


Video

Raw video: Aerial images of the Sacred Fire in California

The Holy Fire in Southern California has burned more than nine thousand acres.

Officials issued new mandatory evacuations Thursday for the so-called Holy Fire through the Southern part of California.

The order is effective for people who are in Elsinore “on the mountainside of Lake St and south-west of the Grand Ave to Ortega Hwy,” the Cleveland National Forest Service tweeted.

⚠️⚠️CORRECTION⚠️⚠️#Holyfire new mandatory evacuations for Elsinore: in fact for all the houses on the hillside of Lake St and south-west of the Grand Ave to Ortega Hwy https://t.co/E9Kb2qLuiB

— Cleveland NF (@ClevelandNF) August 9, 2018

CALIFORNIA’S HOLY FIRE SUSPECT ARRESTED, ALLEGEDLY WARNED ” THIS PLACE WILL BURN

The fire is only 5 percent contained and reached more than 9,000 acres since the first eruption earlier this week, according to the service, said firefighters were working “to battle the blaze around the clock.”

This morning #HolyFire update: we are now in 9614 acres and 5% containment.

Firefighters continue to battle the blaze around the clock. We expect favorable weather conditions this weekend, to help these efforts. pic.twitter.com/XkP1uwLEL7

— Cleveland NF (@ClevelandNF) August 9, 2018

People who are in the Trabuco Canyon and Lake Elsinore areas faced mandatory evacuations of the agency and, on Wednesday, KTLA reported.

Aerial images showed aircraft dropping fire retardant over the flames and the dense smoke.

FIGHT 18 CHARACTERS, IN CALIFORNIA, MAY BE FACING THE WORST FIRE SEASON

An arrest has been made in relation to the Sacred Fire. Forrest Gordon Clark, 51, was booked into Orange County Jail on August 8, 2018, on suspicion of two counts of felony arson, one count of the crime, threat to terrorize, and one count of the crime of resisting arrest. pic.twitter.com/CMspxOIvSk

— Cleveland NF (@ClevelandNF) August 8, 2018

The latest period of mandatory evacuations came a day after authorities announced the arrest of Forrest Gordon Clark, 51, was taken into custody on suspicion of the crime of arson, felony threat to terrorize and misdemeanor resisting arrest.

He was booked into the Orange County Jail on Wednesday, officials said.

Clark allegedly sent an e-mail to Volunteer fire chief Mike Milligan, warning that “this place will burn.”

Fox News’ Frank Miles and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular