California subway killing suspect himself in to the police

SAN FRANCISCO – San Francisco Bay Area authorities have arrested a man suspected of punching of a subway passenger who died of injuries to his head this month in one of the three recent murders in the region’s metro stations.

Jashawn Combs, 24, turned himself in after the police photo spread of the July 21 assault captured on security cameras, Bay Area Rapid Transit spokesman Chris Philippi said Monday.

The transit police said one suspect beat Don Stevens once in the head with a closed fist from a metro platform. Stevens, 47, fell and hit his head on the concrete floor. A coroner said Stevens, who was homeless, died of head injuries.

Filippi said Combs was accompanied by family members, when he turned himself in, but did not know if a lawyer was present. He was booked on suspicion of murder and Alameda County Jail records do not indicate whether the Comb is represented by a lawyer.

The researchers said the surveillance video shows Stevens and an unknown passenger quarrel when they get off a train in the city of San Leandro next to Oakland.

The video shows a suspect that the police claims is to Comb punching Stevens on the platform. The video shows Combing, not knowing that Stevens or the unknown passenger, BART police chief Carlos Rojas said last week.

Stevens’ death happened the day before an Oakland teenager was stabbed to death and her sister was seriously injured as they tried to change metro.

John Lee Cowell, a 27-year-old transient with a history of violence was arrested and charged with the murder of Nia Wilson, 18, and the attempted murder of her sister Letifah Wilson. Rojas said it appeared that the attack was “random and unprovoked” but an investigation is still underway.

Cowell has been assigned a public defender of Alameda county, but the public prosecutor of the office not immediately return a telephone message Tuesday seeking comment.

In a third attack on the subway system this month, another passenger died July 22 of injuries sustained four days earlier during a on a platform.

Abdul Bey, 20, was arrested on a battery charge after he allegedly got into a fight with Gerald Bisbee, 51, on a train on July 18. Bisbee left the train with a bleeding lip and a small cut on the back of his knee.

Bisbee sought medical attention the next day after the sick day. He was examined, treated and discharged that night and found dead in his home July 20. The police said that he died from an infection in the knee wound.

Bey is represented by the Contra Costa County public defender’s office, which did not immediately return a telephone message Tuesday seeking comment.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular