A California high school student led to controversy last week after he created a campaign video which included people dressed as Muslim terrorists.
The unnamed student in the San Ramon Valley High School created the video as part of his campaign for president of the student council, pledging to protect his classmates from the ISIS fighters if they were attacked, KNTV reported. The video showed his friends dressed up as “terrorists” while fake weapons.
The school district stripped the boy of his title as president, but was restored again, after his parents planned to file a lawsuit, the news station added.
A San Ramon Valley Unified School District spokeswoman told local media that the officials determined that the controversial video was protected by the student’s First Amendment rights. “It is a classic conflict that we are dealing with a school and a school district,” spokeswoman Elizabeth Graswich told KGO.
‘CLOCK BOY’ LAWSUIT THROWN OUT IN FEDERAL COURT
“These children have to agree with a campaign contract with clear consequences for breaking it…you will not get an office. I remember it well, because my daughter is the current ASB president,” parent Karen Peace wrote in a Facebook post last Thursday that resulted in hundreds of comments since.
“I can’t share more details other than to let you know that the situation is resolved,” Graswich told KNTV. The school district did not respond to Fox News’ request for an explanation.
The parents served a notice signaling an intention to sue the school district, KNTV added.