Terry Crews opened up about the fact that on the front lines of the #MeToo movement in 2018, the Television Critics Association Summer Press Tour, on Wednesday.
LOS ANGELES – Terry Crews is the opening on the front lines of the #MeToo movement.
“We can now tell you the truth,” he told reporters during the 2018 Television Critics Association Summer Press Tour at The Beverly Hilton on Wednesday.
“And, it’s funny, because these are the lessons that I learned while I was doing this show… It is all about the freedom,” the “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” star continued.
“It is important that you are able to tell your story, and one thing that influenced me was here and feeling safe and having friends and family at this show, that I felt safe enough, that I can actually tell my truth, and still do the work.”
In October last year, the Crews tweeted that a high-level executive grabbed his crotch at a party in 2016. Not too long after it came to light that WME partner Adam venit was the alleged groper in question.
A month later, Crews filed a lawsuit against venit, who was fired by the Los Angeles district attorney earlier this year, referring to the statute of limitations. According to People Magazine, venit, who denied the allegations, was suspended and then later demoted.
Since coming forward, the Crews is an essential part of leading the charge against stalkers and perpetrators in the show business.
In June, the 50-year-old actor testified about his experience on Capitol Hill, telling the Senate Judiciary Committee: “The attack lasted only a few minutes, but what he was actually telling me while he held my genitals in his hand, that he had the power. That he has everything under control.”
Crews echoed that sentiment in a call with reporters Wednesday.
“This is how toxic masculinity permeates culture,” he said. “If I have my story, I was told that this was not abuse. This was just a joke. This was just noise. But I can say that one man’s noise is another man’s humiliation. And I chose to tell my story and share my experience to stand in solidarity with the millions of other survivors around the world. I know how hard it is to come forward, I know the shame associated with the assault. It happened to me.”
If Crew is still one of the many voices of the combating of sexual harassment and sexual abuse, he feels that his role in the movement will forever change the landscape of the industry and thanked his castmates and women who came forward for him, for him to give of his own strength.
“It made a difference,” he said. “And I thank each and every person who are here now, because they gave me the strength to do that together with all the women that came to the fore in the #MeToo movement where I take a lot of my strength from. It’s funny because I was actually talking about this kind of stuff with the members of the cast, the day before I went public with my tweets.”
He continued: “And this is just the beginning, and I feel that this is going to be a new day and now the city to make it safer for my wife, for my son and for my daughter.”