NYC apartment fire kills 12, injures 4
Mayor de Blasio calls it one of the worst fires in the history of the city.
On one of the coldest nights of the year, the New York City’s deadliest residential fires in decades ravaged a Bronx apartment building – that the life of 12 people, including a number of young children.
Mayor Bill de Blasio said late Thursday night that an additional four people are fighting for their lives.
New York Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro told reporters that some of the victims died of smoke inhalation and burns. He said that the fire was started by a 3 1/2-year-old child that was playing with hotplate burners in an apartment on the first floor.
The fire was “historic in its size”, because so many people have died in the fire, Nigro said. With the exception of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, the apartment fire was the worst fire in the city since 87 people were killed in a fire at a Bronx social club in 1990. And in 2007, 10 people, including nine children, died when a fire caused by a space heater ripped through a four-storey house in the Bronx.
The fire department of New York (FDNY) personnel work at the scene of an apartment fire in the Bronx, New York.
“Our hearts go out to everyone who lost a loved one here and everyone is fighting for their life,” Nigro said.
Here is what we know about the victims of the Dec. 28 fire:
Young girls in the age of 1, 2 and 7 and a boy whose age was not given, were among the victims of the Bronx fire, de Blasio said.
Three women, in the age of 19, 37 and 63, four unknown men and an unknown woman also died in the fire, the New York Post reported.
This photo shows broken windows at the back of the building, where more than 10 people died Thursday in a fire in the Bronx borough of New York. New York City is the most residential fire in decades was accidentally ignited by a 3 ½ – year-old boy playing with the burners on his mother’s stove, officials said.
(AP Photo/Andres Kudacki)
Four others remain in the hospital, fighting for their lives.
The fire, which started in an apartment on the first floor, traveled the building stairwell because the door of the involved unit was still open, Nigro said.
“People had very little time to react,” Nigro said, adding that residents were unable to escape the fire by the use of those stairs.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Kaitlyn Schallhorn is a Reporter for Fox News. Follow her on Twitter @K_Schallhorn.