Walmart, companies on gun control measures
Walmart and Dick’s Sporting Goods are the latest companies to gun control measures, what are there others that are part of the growing gun control action?
A 20-year-old Oregon man filed lawsuits this week against Dick’s Sporting Goods and Walmart, accusing the retailers of age discrimination, after they refused to sell him a gun, because of the new age restrictions on gun sales set by the companies.
Tyler Watson filed lawsuits in two separate provinces, where he was refused service because of his age. His complaints were believed to be among the first since the two of the biggest gun sellers in the US announced that their new policy of changing the age for handgun purchases from 18 to 21.
The change in policy came soon after the Feb. 14 school massacre in the Park, Fla., that left 17 people dead and reignited a fierce debate about the Second Amendment and firearms rights in the US
The Florida shooting was allegedly committed by a 19-year-old, who legally purchased an AR-15 rifle.
Dick’s also announced last month that it would end the sale of “assault-style rifles” in the shops.
Federal law currently prevents citizens under the age of 18 from buying a gun.
Watson’s lawsuit claims a store owned by Dick’s Sporting Goods in Medford, Oregon, refused to sell him a 22-caliber Ruger rifle on Nov. 24. He claims that the Grants Pass Walmart in Oregon refused to sell him a gun, March 3.
“He was just trying to buy a gun,” said Watson’s lawyer, Max Whittington. Watson asks judges to force gun sellers to “stop the unlawful discrimination of 18, 19 and 20-year-old customers of all Oregon locations.”
He is also seeking unknown damages.
Walmart spokesman Randy Hargrove said the seller will defend its new policy. “We stand behind our decision and plan to defend it,” he said. “While we have not yet seen the complaint, we will respond as appropriate in court.”
The controversy over the age restriction recently asked two employees of Dick’s to resign after the company’s CEO announced the new policy.
Alexander DeGarmo, 20, told Fox Business that the new age meant that he could no longer buy items that he sold to customers.
“[Dick’s CEO] Edward Stack came up with this completely random and insane rules, I had no problem [to work],” DeGarmo said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Lukas Mikelionis is a reporter for FoxNews.com. Follow him on Twitter @LukasMikelionis.