Backstreet Boys member Nick Carter is in the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office in connection with a sexual assault case.
(REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni )
Nick Carter, member of the popular boy band the Backstreet Boys, is under review by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office in connection with a sex assault case.
The case against Carter, 38, was presented by the Santa Monica Police Department on Tuesday, the district attorney’s office confirmed to Fox News on Thursday.
NICK CARTER DENIES SINGER THAT HE SEXUALLY ABUSED HER
The investigation follows a declaration made against Carter in February. The report, in turn, stems from an incident that would have occurred in 2003.
The Santa Monica police confirmed to Fox News earlier this year that a report was filed against Carter, and that an investigation was underway, but the department did not identify the person involved in the report.
Around the same time, the former pop star Melissa Schuman, of the girl band Dream, tweeted that she can “finally do what I thought I couldn’t do any more”, apparently to confirm that they had submitted the report against Carter.
I’m finally doing what I thought I couldn’t do any more. Im filing a police report #timesup ✊🏻 #bebrave #bethechange #metoo thank you @RAINN for empowering me to take this step.
— MelissaSchuman (@MelissaSchuman) February 7, 2018
In November 2017, Schuman wrote in a blog post that she was forced to take part in an act against my will,” maintain that Carter took her virginity when she was 18 and he was 22.
“After kissing for a moment, he took my hand and led me to the bathroom next to his office,” she wrote. “He closed the door and we kept kissing. I asked him what we were doing in there. He didn’t respond and continued to kiss me.
Melissa Schuman claimed in November 2017 blog that they are “forced to act against my will,” and she said Nick Carter took her virginity when she was 18 and he was 22.
“He picked me up, put me on the bathroom counter and began my pants unbutton. I told him that I wanted to do,” she added. “He didn’t listen. He was not happy.”
Carter said he was “shocked and saddened” by the allegations, and insisted that Schuman “never expressed to me while we were together, or at any time since that everything we did was non-consensual.”
Carter, the representatives did not immediately respond to Fox News’ request for comment.
Fox News’ Kathleen Joyce contributed to this report.
Nicole Darrah cover breaking and trending news for FoxNews.com. Follow her on Twitter @nicoledarrah.