Autopsy: Fentanyl overdose, no alcohol, slain Detroit boy

DETROIT – Authorities say that an investigation to determine whether alcohol played a role in the death of an 8-year-old boy from Detroit in July determined that the child died of an accidental fentanyl overdose.

The authorities say that Jamere Arnold was in cardiac arrest when medics arrived at a family member’s home. The police said at the time that family members indicated the boy might have consumed an alcoholic beverage. Recent results of the autopsy cite fentanyl toxicity as the cause of death.

The Wayne County Medical Examiner ruled the death an accident.

It is not known how the boy ended up with the powerful synthetic opioid. Detroit police Sgt. Nicole Kirkwood tells The Detroit News that the department’s child abuse and homicide units, joint investigation of the case, and that the investigation remains active.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular