Austin bombing suspect kills himself with an explosive as the police close in: report



Austin, Texas bombing suspect dead: report

Report: Bombing suspect kills himself as police close in.

The presumption of a serial bomber that killed two people and terrorized Austin, Texas, for three harrowing weeks was killed in a dramatic confrontation with the police overnight Wednesday, according to the authorities.

BREAKING: Sources have confirmed with @fox7austin that the #AustinBombings suspect is dead. MTF on #GoodDayAustin

— JacquelineSarkissian (@JSarkissianFOX7) March 21, 2018

The suspect, identified by police early Wednesday, a 24-year-old man, was killed in the neighbourhood of the motel he is back to carry on by the authorities, through the surveillance footage from a Federal Express drop-off store and cell phone triangulation technology, according to The Austin American-Statesman.

Police sources tell @fox7austin they believe that the #AustinBombing suspect who is deceased, is of the Pflugerville area. They are not excluded that others can be involved. @fox7austin

— Jane Lonsdale (@JaneOnFOX7) March 21, 2018

The man died after fleeing the motel in a car, with the police hot on his tail. He drove into a ditch, sparking the fatal confrontation.

JUST IN: Witnesses describe what they saw and heard after the #AustinBombings suspect is dead. @fox7austin

— JacquelineSarkissian (@JSarkissianFOX7) March 21, 2018

“We wanted this to come to a peaceful solution tonight,” said Austin police chief Brian Manley. “However, We were not afforded that opportunity when he began to drive away.”

BREAKING NEWS: Austin bombing suspect dies as the police close in, official says #AustinBombings

— Austin Statesman (@statesman) March 21, 2018

The police said the man detonated a package with two bombs as the police closed in, shooting at him. It was not immediately clear whether he died from the bombs and the shots fired by the police. An agent was knocked back by the explosion, but no one was seriously injured.

The incident seems to have brought to an end a terrifying series that began on 2 March, when Anthony Steven House, 39, was killed when a package he found on his porch in the north-east of Austin exploded.

HAPPENING NOW: This is the I-35 in Round Rock near Old Settlers Blvd. It is shut down after officer-involved shooting. @Austin_Police tell me one person is dead and this may be related to the #AustinBombings suspicious. @FBI on scene.

— JacquelineSarkissian (@JSarkissianFOX7) March 21, 2018

Ten days later, a second “porch bomb” exploded in the vicinity, the killing of the 17-year-old Draylen Mason, and wounding of his mother. A third bomb went off on March 12, injuring Esperanza Herrera, 75, and the police quickly determined that all three were connected.

If the Texan capital of the residents sought answers, and developments took a frightening turn on March 18, when two men were injured by a bomb that was disabled by a sophisticated “trip wire,” made of fishing string. That bomb, along with the accelerated pattern of the attacks, under the fear that authorities were hunting a highly skilled maniac.

Just after midnight on March 19, packaged intended for Austin exploded at a FedEx delivery facility in Schertz, about 65 miles south of Austin. That package was sent from Austin, and police were able to track to the drop-off shop where they obtained surveillance video.

Late Tuesday night an explosion in Austin caused by an “incendiary device”, as was said, not related to previous attacks in Texas that have killed two people and seriously injured four others since 2 March, police and federal authorities said.

Also Tuesday, the FBI said a suspicious package reported at a FedEx distribution center near the Austin airport, “contained an explosive device.” The two packages were allegedly sent from an e-mail delivery office in Sunset Valley, Austin, a suburb south of the city centre.

Someone dropped off a box with an “artillery simulator” at an Austin Goodwill location, which explodes, injuring a worker and triggering a bomb scare.

Austin the help of the chief of Ely Reyes says that there is “no reason to believe that” the Tuesday blast is a copycat incident.

Tuesday the victim was a Goodwill Industries employee who was “treated for non-life-threatening injuries,” Austin branch of the non-profit tweeted. The man in his 30s, was looking in a donation bin at the time of the explosion, Austin’s KVUE-TV reported.

According to a Goodwill representative to speak with the exhaust, the victim was talking with someone about safety when the suspicious item was found. While trying to get rid of it, a staff member dealt with one of the artillery simulators and it went off, the Austin American-Statesman reported.

The individual suffered injuries that were “potentially serious, not expected to be life-threatening,” the county’s EMS-tweeted. Ambulance rushed him to a hospital. The victim was treated and released from care, a spokesman for St. David’s South Austin Medical Center told the American-Statesman.

The Houston division of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, along with FBI-San Antonio said that they were working with Austin police in the investigation.

At least five explosions have rocked the Austin and San Antonio areas in the past few weeks.

The authorities said the two packages were connected to the four previous explosions that have occurred in the state during the entire month of March.

Fox News’ Maggie Kerkman and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

Bradford Betz is an editor for Fox News. Follow him on Twitter @bradford_betz.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular