FILE PHOTO: An AT&T logo is displayed on an at&T building in New York City, October 23, 2016. REUTERS/Stephanie Keith/File Photo
(Reuters) – AT&T Inc pulled all its advertising from the Alphabet, Inc. ‘s YouTube for the second time in two years after a magazine reported the platform displays ads next to videos that showed the exploitation of children.
“Until Google can protect our brand from objectionable material of any kind, we are removing all advertising from YouTube,” an AT&T spokesperson said in a statement Thursday.
The move comes just a month after the U.S. mobile operator announced that it would resume buying advertising on YouTube, after a nearly two-year boycott of the platform. The previous boycott was also due to ensure the ads on videos with hatred, or other disturbing material.
The report from Wired magazine that commercials had you next to offensive videos and comments also asked food and beverage maker Nestle SA to pause advertising on YouTube earlier this week.
YouTube said that it had removed some of the content that violated its policy against child endangerment, nudity and other behavior it considers inappropriate. YouTube added that the disabled comments on tens of millions of videos that are minors.
“There is more to be done, and we continue to work to improve and catch abuse more quickly,” YouTube said in a statement.
YouTube derives most of its revenue from advertising, and it is one of Google’s fastest-growing units as consumers spend more and more time watching videos online.
Google does not give the income from YouTube. Advertising research firm EMarketer estimates YouTube will net $11.4 billion in global revenue in 2019 after accounting for revenue sharing with content producers.
Reporting by Sheila Dang in New York; Additional reporting by Paresh Dave in San Francisco; Editing by Lisa Shumaker