Asia Argento has been accused of sexual assault: Rose McGowan heartbroken
According to a new report, the actress Asia Argento, one of the first prominent women to accuse disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein of sexual violence, has agreed to pay from its own sexual abuse accuser. Colleague #MeToo activist and Weinstein prosecutor Rose McGowan says her ‘heart is broken.’
Asia Argento’s lawyer is disputing the allegations that the actress was being sexually abused by Jimmy Bennett, and instead claims that he “attacked” her.
In a long statement issued on Wednesday, Argento’s new lawyer, Mark Jay Heller, sent to the New York Times report released in the last month, writing: “In the Asia of the circumstance, though it was made in the August 20, 2018 New York Times article that she had started with a sexual attack on Bennett, Asia at no point the initiative for a sexual encounter with Bennett.”
Heller went on to say Argento’s denial statement in which she claimed that she “never had a sexual relationship with Bennett” is “completely correct.”
“Her relationship with Bennett was never sexual, but the relationship was a long distance friendship for many years,” he added.
After the 42-year-old actress brought her denial, TMZ published a photo and text messages that have appeared in contradiction with Argento’s claim that nothing sexual happened between Bennett and her.
In an interview with People Magazine, Heller said Argento is “very happy” to clarify the incorrect interpretation of its refusal statement in which they stated there is no “relationship.”
In his interview with People, and his public declaration, Heller referred to the text messages, which were previously reported by TMZ “between Argento and one of her friends.” In the texts, a person the power outlet claimed Argento was allowed to have sex with a minor. It was unclear how TMZ obtained the photo and the alleged conversation.
NBC in damage control mode over Weinstein story
“As revealed in the text messages published by TMZ, Asia stated,” The horny boy jumped me… I had sex with him, it felt weird.’ She went on to tell him that she was ‘frozen’ as he was on top of her and he told her that she was his sexual fantasy since he was 12 years old,” Heller said in his statement.
He continued, “Asia chose at the time not to prosecute Bennett for a sexual attack on her.”
A rep for Bennett not immediately respond to Fox News’ request for comment.
Heller also went on to say that loved to halt payments to Bennett, that Heller said, are set by Argento’s late friend, Anthony Bourdain.
“When Bennett learned of the romantic relationship between Asia and Anthony Bourdain, and believe that Anthony Bourdain was rich and had an excellent reputation to protect and that they are both vulnerable to shame, because they were recognized as early and prominent proponents of the #metoo movement, Bennett chosen to intrude on that relationship and demanded a financial compensation of Bourdain eligible for the not embarrassing Asia and indirectly Bourdain on the basis of Bourdain’s relationship with Asia,” Heller stated, adding that Bourdain entered $380,000 agreement with Bennett in order to “protect of Asia and its reputation.”
NBC Chairman denies that NBC tried to kill Weinstein story
However, Heller added, “Now that Mr. Bourdain has died and is not able to comment on his desire to avoid potential scandal, which resulted in his promotion of the payment to Bennett, Asia will not allow a part of the balance of the $380,000 to be paid to Bennett, which already has received $250,000 from Anthony Bourdain.”
In the New York Times last month, Argento was accused by the child star Bennett of setting up a sexual encounter with him in California in 2013, when he was 17 and she was 37. The legal age of consent in California is 18 years old.
On 19 August, the newspaper reported, citing court documents, that Argento paid approximately $380,000 to Bennett, after he confronted her about the alleged sexual encounter that took place in 2013 in a California hotel room.
In the documents, Bennett sought to sue Argento for the alleged meeting at the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Marina del Rey, California. At that time, Bennett allegedly showed him the notes she had previously written to him and gave him alcohol. She then allegedly kissed him, pushed him back on the bed, performed oral sex on him and then the two had sexual intercourse.
Bennett, now 22, before he broke the silence in a statement obtained by the Deadline, saying: “I knew in the first instance, not to speak about my story, because I chose to discuss it in private with the person that done to me.
“My trauma again as she came out as a victim himself. I have not made a public statement in recent days and hours, because I was ashamed and afraid to be a part of the public story.”
Fox News’ Tyler McCarthy contributed to this report.