NEW ORLEANS – A Catholic school official said Monday that one of the suburbs of New Orleans school has rescinded its policy banning hair extensions.
But it remains unclear whether a sixth-grader who left the school in tears last week after running afoul of the rule will be a return to the Christ, the King of the school.
Video of the Faith Fennidy dejectedly walking out of the school last week drew the accusation that the rule is focused on black students. A state judge blocked enforcement of the rule after the families of the Faith and another girl, Tyrielle Davis, filed suit.
A lawyer for the Fennidy family, James Williams, and the officials with the archdiocese last week said they would meet on Monday. But a statement of RaeNell Houston, the superintendent Archdiocese of New Orleans schools, said the family postponed, then canceled the meeting. E-mails to the Williams’ law firm were not immediately returned on Monday evening.
Houston’s statement said Fennidy the family, and the family of Tyrielle Davis, another student who joined in a lawsuit over the policy, were told last week that Christ the King is a hair extension policy is abolished.
“When this issue arose, the school immediately revise its policy and to recognise that there is any sensitivities that needed to be addressed,” Houston’s statement said. “They stretched out in front of the entrance of the Office of Catholic Schools, the Office of Black Catholic Ministries, other clients and parents.”
Houston said that they will work with the officials of the school to “create a uniform policy that is sensitive to all races, religions and cultures.”
The video, which led to the controversy was virile after Faith’s brother posted on Facebook. He is included in a statement that there are practical reasons for the Faith that is the use of extensions.