WASHINGTON – China is more of a problem than a partner for the United States on its dealings with nuclear-armed North Korea, a leading Republican senator and ally of President Donald Trump told the Associated Press during an extensive interview Thursday.
Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., said China ” lying for 25 years about wanting to eliminate North Korea’s nuclear capabilities. He accused Beijing with North Korea as a distraction from the economic warfare against the United States and other misconduct.
“China benefits from a nuclear North Korea,” said Cotton, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, in an AP Newsmaker interview. “That is why they all play both sides of the street, saying one thing to Western officials in public, but doing nothing to stop North Korea from obtaining nuclear weapons or the now to get them to denuclearize.”
Cotton comments are contrary to Trump’s more positive assessment of China’s support for the harsh U. N. sanctions against North Korea and come in an exciting time. But Trump has consistently called on China for its restrictions on trade ties with North Korea. The isolated communist country recently launched its longest-range missile yet, with the possibility of reaching the AMERICAN east coast.
The interview also delved into the sexual harassment of the politics roiling the United States, of Hollywood and corporate executive offices for campaigns and Capitol Hill, with Sen. Al Franken seemingly on the verge of becoming the next victim. A majority of the Senate, the Democrats called on the two-term Minnesota Democrat to stop after the emergence of another prosecutor on Wednesday, a woman said that he forcibly tried to kiss her in 2006. Franken denied the allegation.
In Alabama, GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore hopes to win next Tuesday’s special election, even if the allegations of sexual misconduct are swirling. Multiple women accused him of sexual misconduct decades ago, when they were teenagers, and he was in his 30s.
Cotton refused to say whether he thinks equal standards apply in all cases against the Franks, Moore and Trump, who has been accused by more than a dozen women of sexual misconduct and was recorded by the “Access Hollywood” bragging about touching women without their permission. All three men have denied details of the allegations, if not the claims to do.
On Moore and others, Cotton said, the voters are going to make that decision, just as the people of this country made their decision last year on Donald Trump.”
He added that women should be able to file a complaint of sexual assault and the accused should be able to defend themselves.
“We should not have trial by newspaper,” he said.
Follow Kellman on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/APLaurieKellman