News

AP Explains: Where things stand in Vegas shooting aftermath

FILE – In this Monday, Sept. 17, 2018, file photo, people of the shadows fall at the portraits of victims of the mass shooting in Las Vegas. Portraits of the 58 people killed in last year’s mass shooting in Las Vegas went on display Monday after the artists from around the world donated their time to the remembrance of the victims. (AP Photo/John Locher, File)

LAS VEGAS – Las Vegas marks the anniversary of the deadliest mass shooting in modern AMERICAN history.

Fifty eight people died, 413 were wounded, and the police say that at least 456 were injured on the flight of bullets that a gambler has become gunner rained down at the end of Oct. 1, 2017, of the Mandalay Bay casino-resort in an open-air concert crowd on the Las Vegas Strip. He was killed, he took the reasons for his rampage with him.

Here is where a few of the many elements of the Las Vegas shooting range today:

OFFICIAL FINDINGS

After seven months, Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo said the Las Vegas investigation of the police in full and on Aug. 3 released a report that does not find a motive for the shooting.

Lombardo said authorities are convinced that the shooter acted alone and was not part of a terrorist plot.

An FBI report in which a behavioral analysis of the shooter, Stephen Paddock is expected by the end of the year.

A report issued Aug. 24 by the Federal Emergency Management Agency and others may find the local police and the fire brigade received more than 1,500 calls within two hours of the shooting and responded to 16 large false reports.

It was said that there are 20 hostages held in the New York-New York casino-resort. Others report a hotel fire, and active shooters at other casinos and McCarran International Airport.

The FEMA report 72 observations and recommendations for responding to mass violence incidents.

THE SHOOTER

Paddock, 64, was a retired postal service worker, accountant, real estate investors, private pilot and high-limit video poker player who earned casino gambling perks tens of thousands of dollars at a time.

He sold the homes in California, Florida, Nevada and Texas, and had houses in Reno and the southern Nevada resort town of Mesquite, about 80 miles (130 kilometers) from Las Vegas.

His bank robber father was once on the FBI most Wanted list. His brother, Eric Paddock, called him the “king of microaggression” — narcissistic, detail-oriented, and perhaps bored enough with life to plan an attack that would make him famous.

Stephen Paddock told a Reno car salesman months before the shooting that he was depressed and had relationship problems. He told friends and relatives he always felt sick and pain. His doctor gave him antidepressants, but told the police Paddock only accepted in a prescription for anxiety medication.

HIS GIRLFRIEND

Paddock’s girlfriend, Marilou Danley, told investigators he was long before he sent her to the Philippines two weeks before the shooting. The police said he wired her $150,000 a house to buy.

Danley, a former Reno casino worker, returned to the U.S. after the shooting and was interviewed several times by the authorities. She was never charged with a crime.

The only person to be the face of a surcharge, Douglas Haig, an Arizona man who is recognized sale of bullets to the Paddock.

Haig has entered a not-guilty plea for a federal charge of illegal manufacture of ammunition. A first date is not set.

SHOOTER’S ARSENAL

Police found 23 assault-style rifles, a handgun and thousands of rounds of the remaining ammunition in the gunman’s hotel suite and an adjoining room.

More than half of the rifles were modified with a rapid-fire devices called bump stocks . Many were fitted with bipods for stability, purpose and a high-capacity ammunition magazines.

The police and the FBI found explosives and ammunition in the Paddock ‘ s car in the Mandalay Bay, 18 weapons at his Mesquite home, and seven weapons at his Reno home.

Authorities determined all weapons purchased legally, the most in the previous year.

HIGH-PROFILE LAWSUITS

The shooting was in response to lawsuits involving thousands of victims and MGM Resorts International, the Mandalay Bay parent company.

Lawyers representing victims rely on the negligence of the casino company. They want the case tried in the court of the state.

The casino giant took the case to federal court, where it wants a judge to rely on a law that Congress after the 9/11 attacks are shielded from liability. A decision is still pending.

MGM took the unprecedented step of suing more than 1,900 victims in multiple states in July. The company does not ask for money, but it wants a judge to declare that it owes nothing to the survivors or families of victims killed under the 2002 federal law.

The company later offered to donate $500 to charity for every defendant who waived is served or authorized a lawyer to accept lawsuit documents on their behalf.

DONATIONS FOR VICTIMS

A $31.4 million fund that started as a GoFundMe effort to benefit the victims of the shooting has spread, the entire sum among the survivors and next of kin.

A committee of trustees of the fund made a protocol to make payments on a scale of more than 530 people.

Family members of those killed and people whose injuries left them with permanent brain damage or paralysis received the maximum of $275,000.

Smaller amounts were given to people who were hospitalized or received medical care on an emergency or outpatient basis in the days after the shooting.

LAS VEGAS MEMORIALS

A committee headed by Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval will work to design, finance and build a lasting memory. But it would still take years before everything is completed.

Almost a decade went by for a memorial for the Columbine High School shooting victims was ready, while a committee in August agreed on a design for the monument for the Sandy Hook Elementary School victims.

The concert hall remains unused and walled with green privacy screens, and the owner of MGM Resorts International has no plans for the site.

A garden that volunteers together km away, is the only permanent public space in the Las Vegas made in memory of the victims. It contains 59 trees — one for each victim, plus an oak represent of life — a fountain and a series of structures decorated with memories, names and photos of the victims.

Volunteers in a museum have catalogued more than 15,000 items left after the shooting at makeshift memorials to the “Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas” sign, and in a median in the vicinity of the festival site. A number of them, including candles, stuffed animals and crosses, recently went on exhibit.

ARTIST

Jason Aldean was performing the Route 91 harvest festival’s last headliner when the gunfire broke out.

His wife and are about 40 members of his band and crew were on the site. Two of their tour buses, with their lighting of the board of directors and the stage were shot.

Aldean told The Associated Press in April that he felt grateful to his family and friends were not injured, but guilty, because all the people there to see him play. And then he felt the anger and disbelief.

“You start doing that thing like, ‘Man, did that really happen? It seems so crazy,'” Aldean said. “You just sit and relive it a thousand times a day.”

He said to talk about the experience and the encounter with the next of kin has contributed to his recovery.

A spokesman said Aldean will not attend the anniversary events in Las Vegas, but is running from Saturday in Irvine, California, together with Lucas Combs, who is also on the stage of the night of the shooting.

___

The complete AP coverage of the Las Vegas mass shooting here: https://apnews.com/tag/LasVegasmassshooting .

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular