News

Allies slowly regain a number of detainees out of Syria fighting

WASHINGTON – Succumbing to months of pressure from the United States, there are a number of nato countries have taken the authority of a few dozen foreign fighters being held in Syria and brought them home to face justice.

Macedonia was the last country to repatriate detainees captured on the battlefield by the US-supported Syrian Democratic Forces, where seven Islamic State fighters on Monday. The numbers are just a fraction of the approximately 600 foreign fighters currently being held by the SDF.

The US has not publicly discussed many of the previous transfers, saying: it is up to the country of origin to reveal the repatriation of prisoners from Syria. But Navy Cdr. Steven Robertson, a Pentagon spokesman, said that the total so far this year is “a few dozen.”

According to the spokesman of the Pentagon, Eric Pahon, Macedonia’s move to accept the seven warriors “marks a significant milestone in the much-needed cooperation to combat the global threat of terrorism,” and sets an important example for other coalition members to follow.

The SDF turned the prisoners over to Macedonia, in Syria, and the transport of Syria was probably given by the AMERICAN

The US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis in February stated that “doing nothing is not an option,” and urged reluctant allies during a meeting in Rome to a solution for the growing crisis of taking responsibility for their own citizens. His pleas, however, got only a lukewarm reception in the first instance.

The SDF keeps thousands of detainees, but about 600 have been identified as foreign fighters from a number of countries. Last week, Lebanese officials said they took custody of eight Islamic State fighters and wants them on the test. And late last month the Ministry of Justice said in the Detroit-area man, who had been captured by the SDF, was transferred to the united states, and charged in federal court with providing support to the Islamic State of the group.

Macedonia on Tuesday was announced custody of seven suspected foreign fighters for allegedly participating in the wars in Syria and Iraq. The suspects, all Macedonian nationals, aged between 23 and 41, will be charged with “participation in a foreign army, police and paramilitary formations,” the officials said.

According to previous Macedonian official estimates, about 130 Macedonian nationals of the member of the Islamic State group and took part in the war in Syria. At least a dozen have been killed in the fighting.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular