A copperhead snake.
A 9-year-old girl swimming in a pool in Mountain Brook, Alabama was taken to a hospital after she was bitten by a copperhead snake that was hiding behind a pool ladder.
Chappell Williams climbed out of the pool when she felt a sharp pain. She told WBRC “felt like a pine cone I just smashed my hand on it.”
It was at that moment that she saw the snake.
“I was really scared,” she recalled.
POISONOUS COPPERHEAD SNAKE SPOTTED NEAR WASHINGTON NATIONAL MALL
“She thought she had a scratch, but I saw the 2 fang marks, and I knew that she would be bitten,” her father, Reed, told the news station, adding that he confirmed the snake was a copperhead when he pulled it out of the water to kill.
The young girl was taken to a local hospital where she was treated for the bite. While copperheads are venomous, the venom is not particularly powerful, Live Science reported.
Fortunately, none of the Chappell brothers and sisters who were also swimming that day were bitten by the copperhead.
Chappell is a “feel good” now, she told WBRC, although her mother, the Netherlands, noted that the situation was “petrifying.”
MOTHER WARNS OF COPPERHEAD SNAKES AFTER A TODDLER WAS SERIOUSLY INJURED BY A POISONOUS SNAKE
In the light of the incident, Reed said he plans to be “very good, be very vigilant about the swimming pool” to prevent a similar situation from happening again.
The news comes after a 1-year-old boy in Texas was rushed to the hospital after he was bitten by a baby rattlesnake that was hiding in a toy outside his home.
Madeline Farber is a Reporter for Fox News. You can follow her on Twitter @MaddieFarberUDK.