News

Afghanistan: the Pentagon says no decision yet on the number of troops in the fight against Taliban

The Pentagon has not sent any final decision about how many troops to Afghanistan, trying to and the stalemate break situation in this country in the 16-year-old war, two senior defense officials told Fox News on Thursday.

The official said that the Minister of defense of Jim Mattis told Congress on several occasions this week that a new strategy would not be delivered until mid-July. Your statements contradict a report by the Associated Press, which claimed that nearly 4,000 additional U.S. would go to troops to Afghanistan and an announcement in could. in the next week

In the last two months, the Pentagon has to send for the examination of between 3,000 and 5,000 U.S. to help troops, schools and the Afghan armed forces advised.

Related Image


Expand / Collapse

Minister of defense of Jim Mattis is smiling at the photographer, before he testifies at a House Armed Services Committee hearing on the defense budget for the year 2018 financial year, on Capitol Hill, Monday, 12. June 2017, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

(Copyright 2017, The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

This week, President Trump Mattis gave the authority to decide how many troops are needed in Afghanistan. In April, the President Mattis granted similar authority to decide how many U.S. forces were required to fight ISIS in Syria and Iraq.

Over the course of four separate appearances before the legislature this week, Mattis said he wanted to operate the US troops, alongside the Afghan army and help them by calling in air strikes, in the hope of an impact on the field of battle against the Taliban. Currently, the military role is in the planning in addition to the Afghan armed forces.

Earlier this week, said Mattis, a Senate panel the Obama administration made the decision to reduce the number of troops in Afghanistan, and place restrictions on air power “was misguided.”

“If we are, I think our forces there, and, what was probably, in retrospect, a misguided application of our forces, we limited our air support, with a certain idea, we would you to wean, you need,” said Mattis on the Senate appropriations defense Subcommittee.

The number of American air attacks in Afghanistan have increased significantly under President Trump. April dropped more bombs than in any month since 2012, according to the Air Force.

In February, the top US commander in Afghanistan, gen John W. Nicholson, said he needed a “few thousand” additional troops from the United States and NATO.

Related Image


Expand / Collapse

FILE – In this April 17, 2017, file photo, U.S. troops and Afghan security forces-police seen in Asad Khil in the vicinity of the side of a US bomb attack in the Achin district of Jalalabad, East of Kabul, Afghanistan.

(Copyright 2017, The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

Since then, the Pentagon was planning for a surge and take recommendations to the White house. The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Joseph F. Dunford, Jr., told Congress this week that President Trump has seen some of the early plans. Officials tell Fox News that there are already a number of National Security Council meetings in the White house, how the various options discussed, according to officials.

Earlier this week, Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., rebuked Mattis and Dunford for not having a strategy in Afghanistan.

Mattis responded by admitting that the U.S. is “not winning,” that he is the latest senior U.S. military leaders describe the war against Islamic extremists in Afghanistan as a stalemate.

Today, there are 8,400 U.S. troops on the ground in Afghanistan, down from a high of over 100,000 troops on the ground in August 2010. Shortly before leaving office, President Barack Obama ordered 1500 troops with plans for a near withdrawn from the country after the scrapping, total withdrawal, which was to be held until the end of 2016.

Last weekend, three U.S. army soldiers were shot and killed by Afghan soldiers in the memory of the danger, the Americans.

Related Image


Expand / Collapse

FILE-In this Dec. 28, 2001 file photo, an Afghan farmer works on his field, on the outskirts of the village of Madakhel in North-East Afghanistan, near the mountainous region of Tora Bora, to see the in the background. An Afghan official, Islamic state fighters have captured some of the area around Tora Bora, the former stronghold of Osama bin Laden in the Eastern Afghan province of Nangarhar. (AP Photo/Enric Marti, file)

(AP2001)

Today, the U.S. military estimates that the Afghan government controlled only about 60 percent of the country. The Taliban is the most prominent of the insurgent group, but they are not the only concern. ISIS is affiliated fighters in parts of Eastern Afghanistan have taken.

On Thursday, ISIS claimed, recognized in Tora Bora, a mountain hideout in Afghanistan rejected once by Osama bin Laden, but the Taliban claim, saying they were still in control of the cave complex.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Lucas Tomlinson is the Pentagon and the State Department producer for Fox News Channel. You can follow him on Twitter: @Lucas FoxNews

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular