News

2 Park baseball coaches not to confront Nikolas Cruz first to lose jobs in carnage

Andrew Medina, left, is criticized for not confronting marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooter Nikolas Cruz, right.

(Broward State Attorney’s Office/AP)

Two marjory Stoneman Douglas baseball coaches, who is also the safety monitor and on a large scale criticized for not confronting Nikolas Cruz when he went to the high school and killed 17 people have reportedly the first school district employees lose their jobs over the massacre.

Broward County Superintendent Robert Runcie announced Tuesday that assistant baseball coaches Andrew Medina and David Taylor will not return to their full-time job as a security this coming year Park, Fla., school, the Sun-Sentinel reports.

Video

Warning, graphic content: Nikolas Cruz plots Park attack

During the Feb. 14 attack, the unarmed Medina said he saw Cruz shut down an Uber, and enter the campus with a black bag, but not against him or lockdown of the school. At the time, Cruz was expelled from the school and is prohibited on the campus.

Medina reportedly said that when he saw the mass shooting suspect, apparently, is “beelining” for the 1200 building — the location where the shooting that killed 15 students and 2 adults, he warned other campus of the guards, but did nothing to stop him.

One of them, Taylor, then reportedly hid in a broom closet when Cruz opened fire.

Aaron Feis, a school security guard and football coach, was shot and killed after he confronted Cruz and shielded from the other students as they escaped.

The decision Tuesday — which Runcie, has refused to work on — came after the school initially sought to bring to Medina, and Taylor back. A list of employees that the school board had intended to return, attracted outrage after circulating on the social media.

The last time that they voted to overrule the discipline committee, they said that it was on consent and not well explained. If the Eyebrows School Bd approves Monitor Medina after he harassed students, offered them alcohol, told they cover it, and it failed to work on 2-14, they are crazy pic.twitter.com/bRNT9fG9FT

— Michael Udine (@Michaeludine) June 25, 2018

“If the Broward School Board approves Monitor Medina after he harassed students, offered them alcohol, told they cover it, and it failed to work on 2-14, they are crazy,” County Commissioner Michael Udine, former mayor of a Park, tweeted earlier this week.

A lawyer who has both coaches says that his customers are treated poorly.

“What kind of a fair trial is that? We could have at least been there to argue points,” Russell Williams told the Sun-Sentinel after the school board apparently met, without his knowledge, to agree that both coaches would not come back.

Video

Cool animation: Park shooter movements in the school

In addition to his passivity during the February recordings, Medina was also previously accused in 2017 of sexual harassment by two 17-year-olds in high school, was the shooting of the victim Meadow Pollack.

A district investigation found that he asked a female student and told that they are “fine as f—,” offering to take her out for a drink, the Sun-Sentinel reported. The students “became so uncomfortable with Mr. Medina’s comments and actions, she tried different routes to their classes in an attempt to prevent him,” the research added.

A disciplinary committee of district employees wanted Medina fired over the allegations, but instead he got off with a three-day suspension, such as “there is no direct evidence to distinguish between the contradictory statements by the students and the employee, there was no inappropriate physical contact, and there was no record of another discipline for the employee,” the district said in a statement, according to the Sun-Sentinel.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular