News

2 men who allegedly retrieved artifacts from the sunken Royal Navy warship

The Royal Navy’s HMS Hermes was sunk by a German U-boat in 1914.

Two men are accused of the sweeping historical artifacts from a Royal Navy warship that sank in the Dover Strait at the beginning of the first world war, the BBC Monday reported.

The HMS Hermes was sunk by a German submarine in the Channel at the beginning of the war. UPI reported that the warship was designed to carry sea planes and was Britain’s first prototype of an aircraft carrier.

Authorities told the Canterbury Crown Court that the men used winching equipment to haul “large” pieces of wrecks from the seabed.

John Mold and Nigel Ingram to deny the fraud charges that stemmed from the so-called “commercial exploitation of shipwrecks.” The report said that the prosecutors said a torpedo hatch, start control panel and porcelain were found at Ingram’s house.

The items were not declared, the report said. Similar objects were reportedly found at Blight’s home.

Kent Police launched an investigation in August 2015, after having been informed that a number of historical artifacts “had been reported missing from the wreckage.”

Ingram, 57, of Kent, reportedly told the authorities that he was a capacitor in the vicinity of the wreck, but did not believe it was the real ship. Blight, 58, from East Sussex, reportedly said he popped up on the site but not everything.

Sky News reported that the wreck is considered to be a protected site, because 44 of the souls who died there.

 

Edmund Initiative is a news editor for FoxNews.com. Follow him on Twitter @EDeMarche.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular